Saturday, May 2, 2009

Catcalls: So stupid only a caveman would do it


Article contributed by Stephanie Mathieu, a journalist and fellow feminist

This column originally ran the summer of 2007 in The Daily News, Longview, Wash.

This is Stephanie's first contribution to the blog, but definitely not the last. She has a lot of progressive thoughts about gender equality and I am sure she will love to share them.






Catcalls: So stupid only a caveman would do it

I never took the time to respond. Until now.

Many women experience it every day: The men who, as they pass us on the street, leer, honk and holler from the cowardly comfort of their vehicles.

But last month, two make antagonists I encountered made a crucial mistake. Instead of directing come-ons at me from a car, they sat on the porch of an Old Westside home.

“Hey, sexy!” Lookin’ good!”

Once again, I was an accidental and unwilling player in the male-dominated sport of “catcalling,” a sad grasp for power.

Experts who study gender say disrespectful behavior toward women helps create a culture of violence in which our sisters, mothers, daughters, aunts, grandmothers and nieces become acceptable targets of sexual assault.

For example, a 2001 study conducted at Rutgers University in New Jersey found that in some male-dominated settings, such as athletics, the use of derogatory language to describe women was not only acceptable, it gave men a “sense of privilege and entitlement” to rape.

Catcalling is verbal abuse, an indefensible practice that objectifies and demeans its subjects, adding to the growing culture of disrespect and violence.

Every time catcalling occurs, it leaves me feeling self-conscious, humiliated, slightly fearful and, mostly, enraged.

In most instances when it happens, my harassers hit the gas and get away before I can summon adequate words of protest. Often, I’m left shouting choice words these men can’t hear, or shaking my head, a fist or a middle finger.

I’ve even tried to make excuses:

“Lighten up,” I’d think. “He is complimenting you,” or “they are only trying to flirt.”

Really?

If men truly believe they can earn the affections of women by hurling insults at them while zooming past on the street, the state should implement IQ tests for drivers’ licenses, then start revoking more than a few.

Such men, much like those who sexually harass, batter and rape, do so out of insecurity or to assert power over someone.

On this particular day, I’d had enough.

Like the fictional “Seinfeld” character George Costanza, who in one notable episode flies from New York to Ohio to deliver an overdue comeback, I turned on my heals and headed down the sidewalk toward the catcallers.

They looked confused as I approached. One pointed to his buddy and said, “It was him.” The other sheepishly said, “He thinks you’re hot,” as if it were an apology. They both appeared to be in their late 20s.

“I did not appreciate that,” I said from about 10 feet away. “That was very disrespectful.”

As I walked away, prepared to count this incident as a rare victory – Stephanie-the-feminist: 1, Male-dominated society: 1 bazillion – I heard the classic, salacious wolf whistle from my “admirers.”

Oh, well. It all goes to show that social change is difficult. It takes more than one young woman with an ax to grind. But here are a few suggestions:

To catcallers: Lay off. Your harassing drive-by gazes, honks, whistle and words do not make you a man. They make you a Neanderthal.

To women who enjoy catcalls: Wake up. These men clearly are not applauding your winning personality or intelligence and probably not even your appearance.

To women who share my frustrations: Protest. If presented with opportunities, and it’s safe to do so, assertively confront your harassers.

Of course, these guys might very well continue their inappropriate behavior.

But your protest could make them think twice the next time they start to honk at a pedestrian, just because she is female, and just because she has a pulse.